Going Abroad FAQ


1.    How can I apply for an exchange (studies or training) abroad?

Applications for an exchange abroad have to be submitted to your Exchange Coordinator. The application procedure is described here, please check for more information. Please check the information of your faculty for the specific conditions your faculty sets.

2.    What are the application deadlines?

The application deadlines are set per faculty. Please check the information of your faculty to see which deadlines you should follow.

3.    What are the academic requirements for an exchange?

The academic requirements are set per faculty. Please contact your Exchange coordinator to find out more about the requirements that you need to fulfill before you will be allowed to go abroad.

4.    What are the language requirements for an exchange?

Language requirements are often different per Host University. Check with your exchange coordinator on which language requirement is connected to the program of the possible destinations.

5.    Does the VUB provide language courses to outgoing students?

The VUB offers language courses for outgoing students in the following languages:
Dutch, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. You can find all information about the possible language courses at VUB on the ACTO-page.

In case you are going on Erasmus you will be requested to fill out a test in the Online Linguistic Support before departure. The results will only be published to you and the Student Administration Center of VUB, not to your host institution and can therefore not be used by the host institution as a language requirement.

If you do not meet the language level that is expected of your host university, you will receive an access code to follow online language courses through the Online Language Support.

6.    What is the minimum amount of credits I have to take?

The minimum amount of credits you would need to take during your Erasmus Student Mobility for Studies period is 21 ECTS credits. We advise to aim at taking courses that amount to 30 ECTS credits per semester.

7.    What is the minimum duration of an exchange?

The minimum exchange period for studying abroad is 3 months. The minimum exchange period to do a traineeship abroad is 2 months.

8.    Can I combine courses with a training or internship?

There are two possible ways you can combine doing a study period and a traineeship abroad.

1.    During Student Mobility for Studies this is only possible if it is offered as a separate course in the curricula of your host university.
2.    You can combine both a Student Mobility for Studies and the Student Mobility for traineeships as two separate programs. This is only possible if both are offered in your curricula at the VUB.

9.    Do I have to pay a tuition fee at the host institution?

Since you will be paying your regular tuition fee at the VUB, you will not be required to pay a tuition fee at your host university.

10.    Will I always receive a grant?

This depends on the mobility program you will be taking part in. It is not guaranteed you will always receive a grant when going abroad.

When you are going on an ERASMUS+ exchange the grant you will receive will serve to cover the extra costs you will encounter to do your exchange abroad. Based on your application your faculty will decide if you will receive a monthly grant between 250 EUR and 450 EUR or not.

This monthly grant will be based upon a number of criteria such as the destination, type of mobility and in case you receive a reduced tuition fee and student scholarship of the Flemish government in the year of your application.

11.    How does the selection and nomination of outgoing exchange students at the VUB work?

The selection procedure and nomination is different from faculty to faculty. You can find more information about this on the faculty

12.    Can I do exchange when there is no agreement between the VUB and the host institution?

It is not possible to do an exchange to a university that has no agreement with the VUB. Your Exchange coordinator together with the International Relations and Mobility Office follow up the different partner institutions to ensure the academic offer is complementary to your courses at the VUB and the quality of your exchange.

13.    What about family allowance/child benefits ‘kinderbijslag’?

During your exchange program you will still be registered as a student at the VUB and thus be entitled to child benefits until you turn 25. You can find more information on this on the site of kamiel or the site of federal agency for family support, Famifed.

14.    Am I insured for an exchange abroad?

Check with your personal provider of your health and hospitalization insurance if they will cover an extended stay outside of Belgium. We advise students to take insurance for travel assistance.

The VUB has taken out an insurance policy for physical accidents of students that covers worldwide as well. Take note that this is only valid after intervention of your personal health insurance.

15.    What about credit recognition at the end of my stay?

Together with your Exchange Coordinator and your host institution you will sign a Learning Agreement with the courses you will follow during your exchange. At the end of your stay and if you pass all your courses, your grades will be translated into the equivalence of the Flemish grading system and recognized as the credits you have obtained during your stay.

16.    Where can I find more information on the offered courses and facilities (e.g. housing, welcome activities, etc…) at my host institution?

For information on the offered courses and facilities while abroad we advise to check on the website of your host university, as this information can be very specific depending on where you will go to study.

17.    Who can I contact for question about the administration of my application?

For questions regarding the administration of your application process you can contact the Student Administration Center at exchange [dot] outgoing [at] vub [dot] ac [dot] be or call 02 614 86 90

18.    Who can I contact for specific questions about a scholarship program or destinations?

For specific questions about a scholarship program or destinations outside of the Erasmus+ program, you can contact the International Relations and Mobility Office at international [dot] relations [at] vub [dot] ac [dot] be or 02 614 81 01.

19.    Who can I contact for the academic content of my application? (Choice of host institution, courses and/or traineeships?

For question about the academic content of your application such as the choice of host institutions, courses you would like to follow or a traineeship you would like to do abroad, you can contact the exchange coordinator of your faculty or department to discuss the possibilities. You can find these contact details of your coordinator on the page of your faculty.