Procedure for outgoing exchange students

•    Overview
•    Faculty nominations
•    How to start your procedure
•    Language test
•    Approval
•    Departure
•    Return


You and your exchange coordinator will piece together the courses you will follow at the guest institution.

Your faculty will then send a nomination list of students who can start their exchange procedure to the Student Administration Center. Based on this nomination list, we will adjust your student profile in your Student Selfservice. You will get a To Do List where you will be able to follow up on your exchange request.

Please find an overview of the entire procedure for outgoing exchange students below:



The nominations are done by your exchange coordinator. Please choose your faculty for more information.

Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences and Solvay Business School
Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy
Faculty of Engineering
Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy
Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences
Faculty of Law and Criminology
Faculty of Sciences and Bio-engineering Sciences
IDLO (Interfaculty Department of Teacher Training)
TIP Nomination procedures start in December, you should contact your exchange coordinator sooner rather than later.


After consulting with your exchange coordinator, he or she will let you know if you may partake in your exchange program. Please note that this approval will be determined by:

•      The results you obtained
•      The approval of the guest institution

Your exchange coordinator will then nominate you at the SAC. Based on this nomination, the SAC will adjust your student profile and add a To Do List. You will then need to submit a learning agreement that should be sent to the SAC. Please note that you should send the document from the email address mentioned in your learning agreement.

You can consult your To Do List in your Student Selfservice by navigating to Main Menu > Self Service > Campus Personal Information > To Do List. This To Do List shows the administrative steps of your exchange program. It looks something like this:

The template of your Learning Agreement will be sent to you via email. It should be filled out digitally and sent by email to exchange [dot] outgoing [at] vub [dot] ac [dot] be. The SAC will then add the LA to your file after which you will see that the status of your ‘Learning Agreement’ has been changed from ‘started’ to ‘received’.

Your exchange coordinator will then evaluate your LA after which it will be sent to your guest institution.

Please do not forget to apply at your guest institution. Some institutions will inform you of their procedures, others will not. Submitting an application and sorting out your administration at the guest institution is your own responsibility.


All students who are going on an Erasmus+ exchange programme should take an Online Linguistic Support test (OLS) before leaving. This test evaluates your knowledge of the main language of instruction at the guest institution.

The OLS test is currently available (and obligated) for Erasmus+ programmes in Dutch, French, English, Spanish, Italian and German.
Students whose mother tongue is the main language of instruction are exempted from the test.

The test takes approximately 50 minutes and contains 5 main parts:

1.    Grammar
2.    Vocabulary
3.    ‘Key communication’
4.    Listening
5.    Reading

You will be awarded a level between A1 and C2 after doing the test. The result you obtained is not visible to the guest institution. This way, you cannot be denied for lack of language proficiency. Your guest institution is not permitted to organize an additional language test or demand the result of the OLS test. Please do be aware that you should indicate a certain language proficiency in your LA and you should have obtained this proficiency when you leave.

Are you not happy with your result? Think you can improve your knowledge? Please send an email to exchange [dot] outgoing [at] vub [dot] ac [dot] be so you can get access to online courses. These courses are free of charge.

After finishing your exchange, you should do another OLS test so we can measure if your language proficiency has improved.


There are in essence three parties who should agree to your exchange program: the student, the VUB and the guest institution.  

This approval is given by signing your Learning Agreement. The approval of student him- or herself should fill out the form and sign it, the approval of the coordinator is given in your To Do List. The SAC will then nominate you at the guest institution along with the signed learning agreement.

Your learning agreement will be an official contract once it has been signed by all three parties. Please note that you will only be allowed to leave once you have obtained sufficient grades on your exams.


After receiving official approval from the exchange coordinator for your exchange program, you will receive a departure package of the SAC. This package contains:

•      Erasmus Charter
•      Grant agreement
•      Certificate of arrival and departure (CAD)

The first document is for you and informs you of your rights and duties as an exchange student. The digital grant agreement should be sent to exchange [dot] outgoing [at] vub [dot] ac [dot] be. These documents, along with your CAD (and OLS test) are essential to obtain your Erasmus+ grant.

Your Erasmus+ grant is paid in two parts. The first part of 70% is paid after submitting the grant agreement and the arrival part of your CAD. The second part of 30% will be paid when you return and have submitted your transcripts, CAD and second part of your OLS test.


When you return the SAC requires three things of you:

1.    Certificate of arrival and departure (signed your guest institution)
2.    Transcript of records of your guest institution
3.    Take the second part of your OLS test (we receive these results automatically)

We will pay the remaining 30% of your Erasmus+ grant when receiving these three documents. The faculty will also process the grades you have obtained.

Please take into account that your grades will be converted and that they may differ from the result you have obtained at your guest institution. For more information, please contact your exchange coordinator.