Grant for Publishing your Doctoral Thesis
The DSh and LSM Doctoral Schools of the VUB are making grants available to their members in order to allow them to publish their PhD thesis as a monograph. This grant does not apply to the NSE doctoral school.
The PhD publication that qualify for these grants need to meet following criteria:
- The PhD student submitted the doctoral thesis.
- The PhD student defended the thesis successfully (date t) or the student is admitted to the doctoral thesis defense (date t).
- Application must be submitted within the period of [t-2 months until t+12 months, exception is made for PhD’s in the arts as follows t-2 months until t+24 months].
- The PhD student has to provide an abstract of the doctoral thesis to the Doctoral School.
- The PhD student has to provide the publishing contract (the contract between the publisher and the PhD student).
- The thesis publication should clearly state that it is a doctoral thesis of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel.
- The supervisor must provide a positive recommendation on the project of publication.
The Doctoral School will provide grants with a maximum of €750 (€250 for LSM) which has to be used to finance (part of) the publication cost.
In order to be eligible for a DS Grant for publishing your doctoral thesis, a grant application has to meet the following conditions:
- The PhD researcher must be enrolled as a PhD student at the VUB.
- A positive recommendation of the supervisor is required.
- The supervisor acts as guarantor that the funding is used conform the aforementioned conditions.
- Complete the electronic webform to submit the application. (don't forget to login first before you hit the 'apply now' button - form is only visible when logged in: Log in HERE )
- At the harvesting moments, all requests are collected by the director of the doctoral school.
- The director of the doctoral school decides which proposals are accepted.
There are no central rules where to publish your thesis. The information on the academic publishing company, VUBPRESS, is facultative.
As an academic publishing company, VUBPRESS offers PhD students the possibility to publish their doctoral thesis in a professional way, at competitive prices, with an extensive and flexible service going far beyond a mere ‘printing’ assignment.
- They provide a customized cover. This can be either a straightforward ‘standard’ cover, or an original graphic design.
- They assign an ISBN and legal deposit and provide for a colophon page, making sure the doctoral thesis is registered and protected by copyright.
- They have the required knowhow to correct and modify the ‘printer ready’ manuscript, and proactively provide advice on layout, page settings and structure.
- VUBPRESS includes the doctoral thesis in its catalog and publishes it on its website, if the copyright allows for selling the doctoral thesis. The book will also be listed on Google Book Search and ‘Boekenbank’. Doctoral theses in English can be distributed through our US distributor IPG as well as through Amazon, thus providing for the largest possible visibility and availability for the published work.
- Copyright is settled in agreement with the PhD student and the university, meticulously respecting (previous) arrangements and demands with respect to possible embargos.
- VUBPRESS can provide an electronic version (pdf) to the PhD student and to the university.
- The entire production process will encompass maximum 14 days – from the first contact with the PhD student. VUBPRESS is at ease with the tight timing of PhD students, and will therefore provide an extremely short delivery time.
Besides the essential technical, graphic and administrative support, our editing experience can provide added value by making the doctoral thesis a more appealing and professional publication. After all, we check manuscripts for errors and imperfections on a daily basis and often notice that they still contain the following imperfections.
VUBPRESS guarantees competitive prices for the service offered. As prices depend on variables such as the number of copies, the number of pages, the number of colour pages and the cover design, we provide each PhD student a precise offer free of engagement.
For more information, contact the VUBPRESS editing desk directly.
Lene Hardy lene [dot] hardy [at] aspeditions [dot] be – tel. 02 289 26 52
Line Tuymans line [dot] tuymans [at] aspeditions [dot] be – tel. 02 289 26 56