Language Vouchers up to 750 EUR are granted for editing/proofreading of PhD publications in order to upgrade the level of Academic English.
The PhD publications that qualify for these Language Vouchers need to meet following criteria:
- The PhD publication has to be relevant to the PhD research of the applicant
- The PhD publication has to be explicitly targeted at participating on the international level, e.g. Conferences or Journals or towards finalizing the thesis itself
- The applicant is a registered PhD student at the VUB
- Editing that is done up to four months ago can also be taken into consideration if all the above criteria are met
- The different Doctoral Schools can make small exceptions to the general criteria
The harvesting moments are:
- 1 February
- 1 April
- 1 June
- 1 October
- 1 December
This is up to you, it is free of choice.
You can still make use of the services of ACTO (Barbara [dot] louwagie [at] vub [dot] ac [dot] be), but you have to make arrangements with them directly.
Research funding: prices and foundations
Since its inception, has made contribution to the development of university education and scientific research, including through financial support for less affluent students and subsidization of scientific publications, realized by Belgian researchers. Although the means to do so are now more limited than in the past, the Foundation remains active in various fields:
1.1. scientific books
The University Foundation can provide grants to partially cover the costs of publishing scientific works. These grants are awarded to persons affiliated to one of the Belgian institutions for Higher Education and Research.
The Foundation grant covers only the publishing for facilitate original, unedited and scientific quality work. For essays and anthologies is important that the introduction explains the scientific relevance and coherence of contributions. In addition, the quality of the contributions of high scientific level. Translations into a language forum are only eligible if the author adds a contract from an internationally recognized publisher.
There are no subsidies for:
- ordinary textbooks
- popularizing works
- works to be published for the award of degrees
The University Foundation takes only those applications for subsidy which will be sent before the 15th of September, 15th of January and 15th of April sent on a special form. Applicants shall be informed of the decision as soon as possible.
More information, rules and application form: www.universityfoundation.be (Scientific Books)
1.2. scientific journals
The University Foundation can provide grants to spend to promote journals with high scientific level whose scientific editors occupies.
The Foundation holds for awarding the grant, especially in mind the following considerations:
- journals with referees, preferably external to the magazine;
- magazines with international recognition and dissemination;
- periodicals that appear regularly and know no lengthy delays;
- magazines are in a healthy financial situation or where it is considered that the financial situation will be healed;
- magazines with a specific project (for example, posting on the Internet, ...).
The grant can be granted for three years. Subsidies for journals are intended to help cover the production or distribution costs.
The University Foundation takes only those applications for subsidy which will be sent before the 15th of March on a special form.
More information, rules and application form: www.universityfoundation.be (Scientific journals)
1.3. scientific papers
The University Foundation may cover expenditure wholly or partly for publishing articles in international peer-reviewed journals.
These grants are only awarded to persons who are linked to one of our institutions of higher education or research.
To authors who wish to publish articles in scientific journals that are already supported by the University Foundation, such subsidies may be granted only in exceptional cases.
The Foundation only consider the requests into consideration with respect to the illustration of unpublished articles. In exceptional cases, they may, however, deviate from this rule.
The University Foundation only does the subsidy into consideration before 15th of September, 15th of January and 15th of April sent on a special form.
More information, rules and application form: www.universityfoundation.be (Scientific articles)
--> Keep in mind that: