DSH - Method in Research Design
Method in Research Design
Location: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Period: Monday, March 20, 2017 - 09:30 to Friday, March 24, 2017 - 16:30
This 3-day FLAMES course offers you an overview of the entire research cycle, starting with guidelines for the formulation of proper research questions and hypotheses; continuing with the choice of measurement instruments, study design, and sampling design; discussing important issues that need consideration during the phase of data collection; and finally, reporting the research in a scientific manner.
The general set-up of this course consists of lecturing with assignments where students apply methodological concepts to their own ongoing research. Students can apply the general principles of research methodology to their own ongoing research. They are encouraged to bring along a 1-page summary of their research project.
At the end of this course, participants are able to:
- Formulate primary and secondary research questions and decide on the appropriateness of hypotheses (causal, correlational, longitudinal, phenomenological)
- Make an informed choice between a number of study designs (experimental, cross sectional, longitudinal, case study)
- Decide on a sampling design suitable for his/her research (random, non-random)
- Understand the consequences of choices made during research design for the extent to which research findings may be generalized (external validity, ecological validity, level)
- Adequately report findings
- Know of the rationales for storing data
- Understand and avoid Questionable Research Practices
For whom: Young researchers (especially PhD students and postdocs) from any field of research.
Prerequisites: No previous experience is required.
- PhD students and postdoctoral researchers of a Flemish university: free of charge
- Other academics: € 180
- Non-profit or social sector: € 300
- Private sector: € 600
Venue: Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Pleinlaan 2 - 1050 Brussel - Gebouw D
Monday 20/03: lokaal D.3.09 - Tuesday 21/03: lokaal D.2.20 - Friday 24 maart : lokaal D.3.04
Topics: Study Design
Type: Short Course: 1 < days < 7 / frequently repeated (yearly, quarterly)
Lecturer: Jarl Kampen
Register HERE for the training
We kindly ask you to register only once and only when you can actually participate. In case you have already registered but are not able to participate, please be so kind as to notify us by sending an e-mail to doctoral [dot] schools [at] vub [dot] ac [dot] be so we can offer your place to one of your PhD colleagues on the waiting list.
Please be aware of the fact that the cancellation and no-show policy of VUB applies. Cancellation of your participation is only allowed up to 48 hours before the start of the course. Otherwise, the policy as described on the doctoral school website will be followed.
Registration Rules: http://www.vub.ac.be/phd/english/workshopsENG.html#RegisRules
No Show Policy: https://my.vub.ac.be/en/phd/regulations-forms